The stone was
discovered in 1802 as a cut piece in
Sonder Kirkeby Church north-western
wall. In 1809, it was taken out, and
sent to Copenhagen. The stone was
displayed in the Round Tower and then in
1867; moved to the National Museum.
Sønderby Kirke, Busserisvej 1, 4800
Present location: Nationalmuseet,
Frederiksholms Kanal 12, 1220 København
The stone is granite, 79
centimetres high, 71 centimetres wide
and 17 to 35 centimetres thick. It was
carved somewhere between 950 and 1000.
"[Sa]ssurr satti stēn þennsi æft
Āsgo[t] brōður sinn, en [hann] varð dǿðr
ā Go[tlandi](?). Þōrr vīgi rūnaR [þessi]."
Translated: (Sa)ssur placed this
stone in memory of Ásgautr his brother,
and [he] died on Go(tland). May Þórr
hallow [these] runes.